Saturday, January 25, 2014

You Probably Need This As Much As I Do

Spring begins in 53 days, 0 hours, 23 minutes...and counting...



Please listen to the music as you peruse this post.

Pinterest

Pinterest

Broughton Castle Gardens

Yves Rocher’s organic Chamomile fields in La Gacily. Les champs biologiques de Camomille à La Gacily.


Country lane, Cumbria, England

Pinterest


Statue at Belton House, Lincolnshire, England by matt.deamer

Pinterest



Pinterest

Pinterest


tumblr

Pinterest


Please enjoy reading my favorite work of poetry...
Originally entitled "The Centuries End".
I hope it lifts your spirits as it does mine!





The Darkling Thrush


I leant upon a coppice gate 
    When Frost was spectre-gray,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
    The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
    Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
    Had sought their household fires. 

The land's sharp features seemed to be
    The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
    The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
    Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
    Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
    The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
    Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
    In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
    Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
    Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
    Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
    His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
    And I was unaware.

Thomas Hardy





xo

Andie



20 comments:

  1. Oh, this post is heavenly, Andie! What a treat and it make me look forward to my garden even more! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem, Andie. Your spring time garden images do make me eager for spring again. It's been cold here with even a little snow yesterday. Stay warm and keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Andie! I love the winter but after all this frigid weather I am so looking forward to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to find some big urns on stands for my Florida garden.
    Got any good ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where you are in Florida. I just found this on Craigslist...
      http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/grd/4271724839.html
      http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/4276351007.html
      If you let me know what you are looking for, I am sure I can find something!

      xo

      Delete
    2. I would kill for these!
      http://charleston.craigslist.org/fuo/4265835269.html

      Delete
  5. I used to play birdsong for my Birdie parrot. He loved it. I got a bird call for Christmas I've yet to try. Each pic, more beautiful than the last. I'm going outside today. It is warm, but polar winds come tonite to freeze us into the teens. I hope we don't run out of propane. They are rationing it here in OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed I needed this, divine !!
    Xoxo
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sound of the birds brings spring to mind, as do your lovely photos of the gardens. Thank you so much for sharing. I enjoyed it so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "... The kiss of the sun for pardon
    The song of the birds for mirth
    We're nearer God's heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth."


    Thank you, dear Kindred Spirit.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. _________ Dooryard Gardens _________


    Happy times when done within your means.
    Overspending can, of course, bring grief.
    Mendacious workmen too, who play the thief,
    Erode faith when they act like feckless teens.
    Raging at injustice makes them laugh.
    Expect integrity and you will weep.
    Not many have a conscience that would keep
    Outrageous overreaching down by half.
    Value in the process is still great.
    A transformation from a dreary hovel
    To a jewel-like place where soon we’ll shovel
    Inspiring garden beds due to await
    Our joy in planting shrubbery and flowers
    Nestled in the dooryard’s leafy bowers.


    ~ FreeThinke (10/21/12)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful images!

    During this snow-covered-ground season, it's good to remember that spring is not all that far away. New life is sprouting right now -- even with these cruelly-cold temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how lush, green and wonderful. Soon, please spring ... Soon.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring seems soooooo far away! Thank you, Andie, for cheering us up!! I especially needed it. Slipped on the ice today :( Stay warm. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED EVERY ONE OF THOSE PIX SOOOO MUCH...thanks, Andie...JUST GORGEOUS, restful, soul lifting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Petrichor. Who knew there was such a concrete noun for such an ineffable smell. Here, is unrelenting winter, another snowy day, undifferentiated grey, snow banks like cliffs along the walkways, even the spruces so snow laden that no green shows, birds at the feeder, but no birdsong at all. Your evocation of spring is an antidote to someone starved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Andie! Oh, what a lovely post and I loved the sound effects too. We're certainly not as cold, nor do we have snow like some, it's for our little island - it's cold. Now thank you, sweetness, for popping in to see me and I love your way of getting back at the meanies by using them as seeds for God. I'm going to remember that one!
    You're most loved and appreciated and you're always a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. In smoky California during the coronavirus, your collection of lovely garden pictures was a breath of fresh air and a delight to my eyes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...