Thursday, November 3, 2011

Annie Sloan Quick Before and After. Well, Except For That...

Another Craigslist find.  Beautiful but missing quite a bit of the inlay veneer.  For $30 I brought it home.


It took over four hours to remove the existing veneer on the legs with a hammer and a screwdriver!  Just like the cavemen used to do it!  I was so tired I was beginning to hallucinate!  Atticus made sure I stayed awake.  Here he is making his rounds.  I discovered afterward that since the piece was so old, the veneer would have come off easily with a cloth and warm water! I tested a small spot.  They were right!  Why I didn't research first is a mystery!  I sanded the glue and smoothed the legs as well as the inlay on the top. I painted right over the inlay with no problems whatsoever!


Here it is after!  I used Annie Sloan Graphite. I merely painted on two coats, sanded a bit and let it dry.  I then waxed the entire table with Annie's Clear Wax. It looks blue here, for some reason.  It is a very dark, moody grey, however. Once the painting started, it took about 45 minutes to finish!


When the wax cured I reapplied the ormolu.


The photos do not do this color justice!  It looks, well, like the graphite of a pencil.  Dark and not shiny at all, (the shine is due to the camera flash).  It almost looks black at times, very dark grey at others.  I really love this! I was originally going to use this as a game table by the fireplace but I like it between the matching recamiers.  What do you think?

I added more ormolu that I found in my collection.  It was looking just this side of naked.  What do you think?


This room (family room) is being painted.  I cannot wait to show you the finished product!


I am linking with:







16 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the photo color of your table…hate that when it happens but I’m sure the color is as amazing as the table. Is there anything you can’t do? Atticus is what I call Dylan dog sometimes…..chub-a-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks quite regal, especially with that gorgeous sofa in the background!!
    It turned out so lovely after all that work! We are gluttons for punishment sometimes us furniture re-doers, aren't we?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, that table is STUNNING! For $30 and some elbow grease, that's quite the find. Love it. Your first picture makes me laugh, it looks like Atticus did all that scratching and is then casually walking away quite happy with himself, lol! (Great name for a cat by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andie-i-am-who-I-am. Haven't chatted for a while. Love the table - very sexy, curvy legs. Also completely besotted with your weathered leather chesterfield style sofa in the background. I so badly want one like that. I have a leather one that I enourage my children and animals to play on as much as possible to give me the distressed look I am after, but it's not working! x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your new header andie and your table. just have to get annie sloan!
    thanks for sharing
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done it again. Love and kisses. Richard from from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! what a great and beautiful table my dear friend..Love it!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Andie, love the color, the shape, the ormolu, thank you for sharing your once again delightful Craiglist find.
    Hugs Colx-Afrique du Sud

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andie, you changed the banner again - looks great. Nice transformation of the table. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty and don't ya hate when you find a quick fix after you busted butt. Know that feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks darling Andie!! I love how it came out! I hear you about chipping off the veneer... ugh. Been there done that. I didn't know you could use warm water either- will have to try that next time! Anyway- love the color~sharing it on fb~Thanks for linking up at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table looks marvelous, Andie! It sounds like a lot of hard work, but your efforts really have paid off! It looks like a million bucks!

    I am delighted you linked your creative project to Potpourri Friday and hope you will make it a weekly stop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your table looks beautiful! You did a great job.
    gail
    ps catching you this week, thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, You did a great job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't get over how talented and creative you are! I love your fireplace. did you paint the brick with ASCP also? I want to paint my fireplace too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...