Saturday, September 10, 2011

Unsung Heroes, Search and Rescue Dogs of 9/11

Nearly 2,000 dogs and their handlers are expected to be standing at attention tomorrow in Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey for a Recognition Ceremony honoring  the search and rescue dogs and handlers who labored mightily in the rubble left when the Twin Towers fell at the World Trade Center.
The emotional procession will begin at the park and end at a site just across the river from Ground Zero.


Dogs and people worked in conditions that were dangerous and ultimately heartbreaking, for there were no living survivors for them to find. Their keen noses did alert first responders to the location of bodies that were recovered and returned to the families of victims.  An estimated 300-350 dogs searched at Ground Zero. Many were owned by civilian volunteers. Others were trained and utilized by police and military officers.

Finding One Another Organization, a co-sponsor of the solemn event which educates the public and raises funds to support search and rescue dogs, their handlers, and veterinary medical assistance to the dogs has identified more than 950 working dog teams who served in search and rescue, recovery and security at Ground Zero, the Pentagon, Shanksville, and the Fresh Kills Landfill recovery site.

Here are a few of the surviving heroes...










Good Dogs, All!

11 comments:

  1. Andie you always make me cry!
    I hope to see this!!
    God bless our beautiful animals.
    Pamela xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We heard a story this week about a seeing eye dog that lead his owner out of one of the towers and went back for others. All of these animals are special.
    Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, I'm in tears. I've steeled myself to all the images,but these have brought my undoing.jd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. D. I was in New York during 9/11. My beagle at that time, Ms. Prissy was a home with a friend. I was staying with a friend in the old Garment district, not far away. It was a very scary time, as no one knew what to do. I saw dogs, all around with police and fire fighters, so I know first hand, what you are talking about. I can not think of a better memorial than these dogs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as usual. RC at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to our four legged friends! These animals gave such dedication, the images above of them wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really makes me want to cry. definitely unsung heroes! Great tribute. They deserve it. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post Andie... all of these Hero Fur Babies deserve recognition for their contribution too!

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Animals are so amazing.....their instincts always fascinate me! Loving this music that I am hearing along wtih this post....thank you for paying special tribute to mans best friend who no doubt played a big part in the rescue effort and went in there without hesitation to do what they do best...helping and being there for people.
    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caught this a little late. That was so nice of you to post this in honor of man's and woman's best friend. I saw on Huckabee last week one of the handlers came on with his Shepard, probably the top picture, who worked at Ground Zero. He is 13 now.
    Dogs are great aren't they? My dog bit me yesterday while I was trying to pull a spiky seed pod from his beard. He's such a good boy, that's what his vet says about him when they knock him out for his checkup. But his good points out weigh his quirks. That's him in my Avatar.I always tell him he's lucky he's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Andie so heartwarming! Our furry friends are really there for us in so many situations!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...