Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Get Thee To Craigslist!

I admit it.  I have been hogging buying all the good stuff on Craigslist.  This has been previously established.
My deepest apologies to those who came after me...
Alas! My conscience can take no more!

Before you start to think I have come to this decision based on my selfless, giving, magnanimous nature I must reveal the truth.

I have everything that I need! Well, with a few exceptions.
I know it's difficult to believe, but I am done (ish).

Disclaimer:  Blogger reserves the right to change or modify the aforementioned statement at her sole discretion at any time. Any change or modification to the Terms will be effective immediately upon posting.  For any material changes to the Terms, Blogger will take reasonable steps to notify you of such changes.
(Just in case Blogger sees something Blogger didn't know she needed.)
Now that that's out of the way...

Please use this handy guide to help to navigate through the hallowed halls of the towering monolith that is Craigslist.  Most of us have Pemberley tastes on an Ikea budget but that needn't stop us!


Here is a sampling of recent Craigslist finds to inspire...


The Montgolfier hot-air ballon chandelier, the table, dining chairs, armoire, armchairs, Louis XVI parlor table, altar candlestick lamp...even the marble that is in the front, left side of the photo; all of these came from Craigslist.  The remainder came from ebay. Except for the cat toys scattered on the carpet.  Can you see them?  Can you see Atticus, our beloved black and white kitty?  Look behind the chair.  Hi Atticus!  Gosh, how I love that cat!  Such a little gentleman!


This French cabinet is almost five feet long and  four feet high.  See the raven-drawn pumpkin carriage that I made for Gracie last year?  The chairs came from Craigslist, as did the French brass candlesticks.
The cabinet is perfect for the entry!  I had the pier mirror- turned French trumeau there but I really wanted something that I could use to display seasonal decor.  
The pier trumeau now blocks off the front stairwell.  I like it there.  Handsome Husband says it can stay!  We have two staircases leading to the second story.  How many staircases do we need?  I mean, really?


The painting is almost six feet tall!  It is perfect in the foyer, with its 18 foot ceiling!
Handsome Husband bought the painting for me from a local shop after my daughter was born.  It is a reproduction, done in oil, of William-Adolphe Bouguereau's La Charite

I originally wanted to hang one of my large French pier mirrors over the chest but they are the kind of heavy that would make me neurotic. 
The kind of heavy that would make me worry day and night.
The kind of heavy that cannot and will not be  hanged hung installed on my walls. 

There are many ways to die.
  I will not accommodate any arrangement that risks a loved one being crushed by the massive weight, whilst simultaneously punctured by shards of antique mirror. 
But, honestly, what a way to go!
Seriously.  Have you seen those mirrors?


Everyone is gearing up for Halloween!
Craigslist mirror, painted with Annie Sloan Paris Grey and Dark Wax.


The chandeliers are finally hung hanged installed.  However, a few are from Europe and I am waiting on my socket adaptors from ebay.  The bulbs in Europe are a different size than in the States.  I had no idea how much it would cost to hang all 25 chandeliers! Well, it's worth the peace of mind to know it was done right!  
That's what I keep telling myself, anyhow.

With that kind of money we could have adopted this perfect angel and even fed her for a week or two!
This is Sadie, one of our recent transports!  I wish we could have kept her!


I am so pleased with the way the Library looks!
Sometimes, I go stand in the Library so when Gracie or Handsome Husband ask me where I am, I can say "I'm in the Library!" in a falsetto, fake British accent.
It's just something that I have wanted to do since I was a child.
It never gets old!


Guess who?


French chest from original Craigslist ad.  
I practically stalked the poor people who were selling it until I was certain they got my emails.
It was so inexpensive that I feel like I stole it!  I half expected police helicopters to hover overhead on the ride home!
I added escutcheons that I happened to have on hand (doesn't everyone?).


One of six French Walnut Cane Seated Fauteuils (foh-TAY'-yuh) from Craigslist.  I didn't need them but for $200 they came home with me!
Now what?
I have carried them into each and every room of my home and remain uninspired.  There just has to be a place for them!
I need a flow chart  Yes!   A flow chart!
All my problems would be solved if I had a flow chart!

Finally!  This chandelier has been waiting a long time to be hanged hung installed!



Here is her transformation...
The image on the far left is what she looked like on Craigslist.


Not sure if I like this chandelier hanging in the Breakfast Room.  
Now I want to trade it with the one in the Master Bedroom.
Ugh!  Make up your mind, Andie!

I have yet to install the grisaille ( gree-zah-yuh) panels and repaint the secretary.  So please stop asking, Betsy.
This has been a very good Summer to work on the gardens, so the inside had to wait.

I promise to take photos in the next few days! Wait until you see the potager!
I am sitting at this table at this very moment.  I think it's the first time I sat down all Summer!
So much more to share!

            In the coming days and weeks, be prepared to gasp in abject awe and admiration!
                                               

xo,



Andie

Sharing with Sherry, at No Minimalist Here, Open House Party Thursdays!

Pamela, at From My Front Porch to Yours, Treasure Hunt Thursdays!

Yvonne, at Stone Gable, Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits!

Kathryn at The Dedicated House, Make It Pretty Monday!

Courtney, at French Country Cottage, Feathered Nest Friday!

Cindy, at My Romantic Home, Show and Tell Friday!

46 comments:

  1. oh it's all looking so fabulous. You get the best finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your finds, my friend. I'd say WE get the best finds! :)
      What do you think? Should the hot-air balloon chandelier stay in the Breakfast Room?

      Delete
  2. ANDIE! You are back! You have been très occupée! I saw that exact chandelier in an antique store here, but it must have been a repro? Everything looks magnificent. And I remember that lovely little crow-drawn carriage! Be well, Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been missing you! I am hopping over to your blog right now!

      Delete
  3. Andie, you make me laugh (a good happy laugh). I manage to have the same luck you have on Craigslist and it makes me giddy! I absolutely love the hot air balloon chandelier. You did a wonderful job with it. I also love how you have put little masks on your statues. Guess what I am doing once I finish this comment? Running around like a mad woman putting masks on all of mine! I have moved since I last wrote to you--come check out my house tour! I am so excited to have you stop in.
    Fondly-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming to visit you now! Thanks for stopping to see me!

      Delete
  4. Andie your house is gorgeous and you certainly do have all the luck my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply cannot believe anyone could find all those lovlies on CRAIGS LIST !!!
    Why not me?
    And, what you've done is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you again. All looks gorgeous, and I love that chandelier! Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you too! I can always look forward to a kind word from you!

      Delete
  7. Andie, so good to see a post from you! You are definitely the Queen of Finding the Fabulous. It all looks stunning, and now I'm eager to see the garden. Missed you........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be taking photos soon. Tomorrow, I think. I hope you like it as much as I do!

      Delete
  8. I have been wondering where you were. should have known it was making something look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have been wondering where I am too! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. So good to have you back! Thank you for the loverly photos of your home...seen some of them before...however, always a treat to see again. You and your husband work so hard...no wonder we haven't seen you this summer. GOD bless and take care. Warmly, Mary (The Old Elf)
    p.s. looking forward to photos of your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I posted new photos of the rooms with the chandeliers hung. I was so excited that I hovered over the poor electrician trying not to get in his way!
      It's so nice to see you again, Mary!

      Delete
  10. You are such an incredible talent! I am always so inspired when I come here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacki! People in my "real life" don't really understand how decorating consumes me! LOL! It's nice to know people who understand and share my passion!

      Delete
  11. Olá,
    sua casa está belíssima, tenho acompanhado sua trajetória e estou encantada com seu talento. Adorei o quadro da mamãe, um belo presente.
    Bjos e tenha um ótimo dia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eu estou sempre feliz de ver seu lindo rosto! Obrigado pela sua gentileza!

      Delete
  12. Chandeliers are hung.
    People are hanged.
    It's about time you stopped playing in the dirt and got back to the important job of entertaining MOI!!!
    Your garden better be spectacular to justify no posts over the summer.
    You have a responsibility to me

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was no punctuation at the end of my comment, because my iPad stopped working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it symbolized your infinite frustration with me. Good to know it was a technical failure!

      Delete
  14. Maybe I'll just leave lots of little comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did this post just to make us all JEALOUS right? I am jealous LOL
    love all your fabulous finds
    A person just needs to live in the right location where there is a fabulous craigslist

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well gosh darn! Guess I better start cruising craigslist every night. I have been looking for a Frenchy type armoire....like, forever. Love everything you have scored and the redo on the chandelier......perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andie, Sounds like you had a busy Summer and I am glad to see you back to blogging. Your library turned out fabulous...like, I am in love FABULOUS! Looks like Craigslist supplied you with more beautiful pieces. Thanks so much for sharing this at the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home is lovely and it is amazing that you found so many wonderful pieces on Craigslist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I simply adore your design style, if we could all have that great eye of yours, wow...Love all the wonderful things you have put together, looks very chic and expensive...I have never had much luck with craigs list, I think I came after you...lol I love your blog style and I am a new follower...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andie you never cease to amaze me with your Craigs finds lady!! Too bd you do not live down here in H Town! I would make ya find me some stuff!;) Thanx for partying lady!

    ReplyDelete
  21. And of course, Charite's "foundation" is located under a tipped over jar of gold....

    Thank's for the "coins", Andie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are the Queen of Craig's list. I have yet to purchase from it. You have a set of those beautiful chairs and don't know where to use them. I am sure you will come up with something. Someone better join one more partay!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never had much luck with Craig's List. Then again, I'm usually looking for something quite specialized -- such as a van with a handicapped ramp or a "decent" piano.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Andie,
    Have I told you that your house is EXQUISITE?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, Andie!

    So good to see you back! I can see you have been VERY busy. WOW!

    I am SO impressed.

    House & Garden really ought to do a feature on you. Your vision is marvellous, your imagination and ingenuity boundless. Your determination to persevere is just PHENOMENAL.

    Many of us dream, but few have what it takes to make their dreams come true.

    You are living The Life Triumphant, believe me.

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Andie, I am always amazed at your creativity and keen eye!
    "Be true to thine self" definitely applies to your genius!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  27. Andie, great to see your lovely home again! Missed your posts and can't wait to see what else you've been up to! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow your procurements from craigslist blows my mind everytime and then so does your ability to see and transform them into pieces of perfection,.
    your admirer,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great job you did! Love that balloon Chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I guess if I dug deep enough I could find out where you live. Here in Quincy, IL we do not have a strong Craigslist and I rarely find anything on it. You my dear have hit the MotherLoad! What a beautiful place you have and beautiful things in it. Years upon years ago, I went to a executives home in Kansas City and they had this same chandy that I was in awe of. Never seen one since. Glad it works for you...you lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That hot air balloon chandelier is just stunning...I believe I could sit and stare about your house for hours. Very lovely stuff, and you have such a way of combining it all to work together!

    ReplyDelete
  32. From a fellow Craigslist buyer, you should be crowned the Craigslist Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so glad for you that you've been able to find such wonderful things on Craigslist! Alas, it's not true for my area (much). Despite the fact that I recently bought a fabu claw foot tub on Craigslist, most of the stuff is way overpriced. I think too many people have been watching American Pickers!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I too am a child in a woman's body. My secret was monogrammed linen. When time and tide produced enough money to buy a French sheet I wrapped myself in it and took a nap while quietly crying. I felt so exposed.

    Love your blog.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the bulbs in your ballon chandelier, where did you buy them? Did you make them? If so, please do a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...