Monday, January 24, 2011

To Paint Or Not To Paint?


This a lovely pier mirror that I recently found on my local Craigslist. I cleaned it up today, it was really, really dirty (really)! I am contemplating painting it the slightest dove grey or off white. What do you think?











Here are some photos of the mirror with my cherub bed crown wired onto the top...What if I painted the body of the mirror dove grey and gilded the carvings and columns to match the cherub bed crown? Too much?



*Please note that the space behind the pier mirror is an odd opening from the living room to the front staircase, a rectangular gap with an ugly orange builder's oak railing.   WTH?  It will be gone in the Spring when the drywall guy comes!

The mirror came from Indiana. The owners brought it here themselves. Very nice people. That is one of the reasons I love to shop on Craigslist, I meet the nicest people. Plus I can get the history of the piece directly from the owners...and that's kinda neat.
Which reminds me, they told me about the history but I already forgot! I don't think they would mind if I called them again!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Andie, I have been going through your archives and you have a beautiful home and blog. I say paint the mirror! It would look great in dove gray and then highlight the carvings with a subtle white. It is a gorgeous mirror.
    Hugs,
    Sherry
    ps: I am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sherry! I am so honored! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece. I love it!! I think the gray would be divine. You need to look at Miss Mustard Seeds blog at the mirror she just did recently. Thanks so much for coming by. I can't wait to see this done. I hope you will share it at my weekly party. It runs on Wednesdays and the link goes up on Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would move that follow list up so it is easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kim!
    I don't know what you mean by "follow up list". I can be pretty dense sometimes! *squinches mouth to the left side of face*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andie she means the list of followers that you have at the bottom of the page. Move it to the top of the page (In your gadgets) so it's easier for people to "follow" you! *winks*

    Well I think painting it grey with the gilding would be gorgeous! How nice of them to bring the mirror to you! I've had that happen couple of times too and it's such a nice surprise. It's really beautiful BTW.

    And you're preaching to the choir my friend about shelter animals. I can't tell you how wonderful I think it is that you go and fetch animals from the kill shelter and take them to the non kill! Seriously that makes me teary! Here in my state they charge $55 any time you bring an animal in. So people just dump them! It makes no sense. And soon due to budget cuts we may have no animal shelters at all. I foster animals every so often...It hurts like crazy because I fall in love with them all and then they have to go to new homes. Sweet pain. Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I. Am. A. Dufus.
    I fixed it. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohh that capodimonte piece is cool! And I love that gone with the wind parlor lamp.
    I found this:
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/clo/2177897464.html

    This is a quite rare piece of 70's LV. They don't give a price (I hate that!) Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, paint and gild it! remember to add touches of gild or if you decide on another accent, add here and there to the little cherub so that it all looks like "together" have a lovely day. Colette ~Afrique du Sud

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore that mirror! Can't believe you found it on Craigs list! I think it would be even better painted! Thanks for coming by for a visit! I'll be back!
    Theresa
    aka:tot

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...